Sunday, February 27, 2011

Designer Profile: DodoDesigns

The owl pencil case I purchased from DodoDesigns. Love it!


As a super organized type person, I can’t just throw my pens and pencils in my backpack. The idea of that disorder makes me cringe. I was embarrassingly using a Ziploc bag for my supplies and decided I needed to step it up and get a cute pencil case. After searching the Internet, I found my prized pencil case from DodoDesigns on Etsy. I picked it because of its hardy construction—most people were selling flimsy fabric pouches—and the adorable owl design.

Here’s some background on the designer behind DodoDesigns, Francesca Burdett-Coutts, from Toronto, Canada, who started making these useful and lovable pouches in 2009.

Indie Style Finds: How did you get into sewing and crafty projects?
Francesca: My mom is an artist, and we were always encouraged to do tons of creative stuff growing up. I still love painting and I’m very into photography. I started sewing because I had this idea for pouches and wanted to see how they would turn out. I was pretty terrible in the beginning, but I just kept trying and trying until I got a product that I was happy with.

ISF: How many different pouch sizes do you make?
Francesca: I make about five different pouch sizes. Every now and then I do a custom size if a customer requests it; I’m always open to suggestions about what else my customers would love to have. I’m also going to expand into things like iPad cases and leather handbags in a couple of months.

ISF: What's one of your favorite patterns you use in your pouches?
Francesca: I love all my patterns. I think the owls are ridiculously cute. Then I go through phases when I love the cupcakes because they’re really cutesy, and I definitely love the new cherry pattern that I have. I also really love the Rebel print. It’s really edgy with attitude. I could probably go down the whole list like this because I really get so excited when I see all of them.

ISF: How often are you working on projects for DodoDesigns?
Francesca: I really love my business and it makes me so happy to do it. So I probably work on something for DodoDesigns every day, either sewing or planning new designs. I’m going to launch a leather line of handbags shortly so that has involved a lot of planning and a lot of finding new suppliers. I’m really excited about how it’s going to turn out, but I could use a few more hours in a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment