Thursday, March 3, 2011

Designer Profile: My Pink Turtle Studio

Prints from MyPinkTurtleStudio on Etsy.com


Self-taught artist, Lulu, from Frelighsburgh, Canada, creates and sells her bright, original paintings, prints, and necklace pendants through her Etsy store MyPinkTurtleStudio. Typically her work features Frida Kahlo, fairies, angels, and mermaids. I have several of her Frida paintings up on my walls thanks to my mom. Here, Lulu, talks about her art.

Indie Style Finds: Why did you decide to put your prints on wood blocks?
Lulu: I decided to do this because we got bags and bags of wood remnants from a local cabinetmaker and we would start the fire in our stoves with it. Each time, I would think "Oh my! How awful to burn such treasures.” So I simply decided to up-cycle this reclaimed wood, mounting prints of my art on black wooden blocks.

Most of my original paintings are offered in my Etsy store. Once they sell, I offer my customers regular paper prints of the image as well prints mounted on wood, which people really like since they look like original pieces and are ready to be hung on the wall when they arrive. I also sell wood necklace pendants in a limited quantity right now. I do commissioned paintings as well and will paint just about anything a customer wants at the size they choose.

Frida Kahlo Flowers by Lulu from MyPinkTurtleStudio on Etsy.com.

ISF: Why do you like using Frida Kahlo in so many of your pieces?
Lulu: I have traveled extensively through Mexico and drove through the country three times. I simply love this country! It’s language, people, art, food, landscapes, and history. Frida Kahlo has always been a favorite painter of mine because of her strange beauty and art and because of her amazing story.

ISF: What are you working on right now? What new stuff can users expect?
Lulu: I am always working on art projects! I try to paint a new canvas weekly, even more if possible. At the moment, I am working on a life-size Frida (she was 5' 3" tall) painting, as well as a couple other big paintings. Finishing a few cat canvases this week, as well as a fairy and an angel painting. All inspired by spring coming soon!

I do not think I will be offering new products in my shop in the near future. I want to concentrate on painting as much as I can and producing derived products of my art takes a lot of time. My goal this year is to constantly offer new original paintings.

Blue Bird by Lulu from MyPinkTurtleStudio on Etsy.com.

For more info, check out Lulu’s blog and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment